TitleSocial Sciences Teachers and Advisors Day 2020
DescriptionLocation: University of Leeds
Date: Thursday 13th February 2020
This day is designed to be an opportunity for school/ college based teachers and advisors and University admissions staff, academics and staff to learn from each other about the best ways to support young people in their transition from school or college onto Social Sciences in Higher Education.
Workshops will cover a wide range of topics including information on course changes, admissions criteria, the student journey, work-placement opportunities, how the University of Leeds supports particular cohorts of students etc.
The day will be an opportunity to share best practice, and to inform one another as to how to best support students. It will provide insight which will inform the CIAG you can offer students, as well as help us to better understand the students that transition to Higher Education.
Places are open to Teachers and Advisors for students 11-16 AND 16+.
Sessions include, but are not limited to:
• Law at University of Leeds and the impact of the Solicitors Qualifying Exams
• Which Business Degree – a guide to available degree programmes and making suitable choices.
• Working with BTEC students at University of Leeds
• Academic Skills & Knowledge – How students can critically engage with research and assessments in Social Science.
• Social Science Foundation Year opportunities
• Challenges of the contemporary political landscape on Higher Education for future generations.
• What does Sociology and Social Policy look like? Learning Aims, Objectives and Outcomes.
• Student Voices – Student perspectives on their transition to studying Social Sciences at University of Leeds
• Supporting Students on Business degree programmes
• Geography: Population & Health Issues
• Q-Step & Nuffield Research Work Placement Opportunities
• Plenary – Open Table Discussion
To secure your place please book on the link. Please note, places are limited.